Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Team 2011!

The third iteration of the Summer Journey is underway. The team has been selected, and what an incredible group it is, filled with middle schoolers whose achievements in music, art, academics, and athletics are as impressive as they are diverse.

We will be cranking up the fundraising engine very soon - in fact, some of us have gotten a good start already - and students will be setting goals and working toward them. My own goal is to raise $2500 for the scholarship fund and I've been wondering if I should do Operation Squirrel (as I have the last two years) or switch it up a little bit and do Project Huck, which would involve me (as Huckleberry Finn) marooned on a raft in Reeds Lake. Last year I got to spend 92 hours in a tree; this year, it could be spent on a lake. What would it be like sleeping on a raft? Would I be worried about rolling into the water? Would I have dreams about lake monsters pulling me in? Sheesh. Scary.

But what I am looking forward to the most is getting to know the team! I'm so excited for night XC skiing (with headlamps) at the Cannonsburg State Game Area in January. And for broomball/ice skating at Alice's in February. And for movie night at Keller's in March. And for the buddy race, solo challenge, and campout in late April. And for art class, and barbecue, and yoga, and the 5k, and the pool party! This is going to be so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment